Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Penny


I remember as a child waking up on Saturday mornings to watch Saturday morning cartoons. We had the best cartoons back then. After watching cartoons with my sister Krisanda, we would watch Pee Wee's Playhouse. For anyone who doesn't remember or is too young to remember... Pee Wee's Playhouse was an absolutely ridiculous mess of skits, secret words for the day, cartoons, lame jokes, and silly lines like "I don't make monkeys, I train 'em!" and "if you love it so much why don't you marry it?". It usually involved Pee Wee Herman parading around with a pair of giant underwear on his head or holding a special ceremony to marry the fruit salad he loved so dearly. Often during the episode they would play a "Penny Cartoon". This was a cartoon with a claymation girl named Penny who always rambled on and on about the most random things. These cartoons always started with the line "Hi, my name is Penny" and then continued with this rambling for about 2 minutes straight without a pause while this girl tried to make sense of the world. No matter what was going on we always laughed and laughed.

Several years later when we had grown out of the whole Saturday morning cartoon routine, Krisanda, Eli and I were invited to a slumber party at our crazy Uncle Will's. He was attending school at BYU and living in an apartment in Provo, so we felt quite cool going to our "rad" Uncle Will's for a slumber party. About halfway through the night, he popped in a video (I am positive this was an attempt to get us to shut up and go to sleep, as I am sure we were as obnoxious as anyone could possibly be at our age). We watched several episodes of Pee Wee's Playhouse (in spanish for some odd reason) recorded from TV on a VHS tape with our Uncle Will and laughed and laughed.

So as I sit here creating this blog (as it seems like no one can survive anymore without one), I can't help but think back to those days and those "Penny Cartoons " and how this blog is much like a "Penny Cartoon" of my own. A place for me to come and ramble about the most obscure things. A place for me to try to make sense of the world.

3 comments:

ELI said...

YAY!!!! I'm so excited! And we need pull out the Pee Wee dvd's soon. Party?

The Bell Family said...

Ha Ha Ha!!!! I'm more excited than Eli! Penny is the best!!!

Anonymous said...

WooHoo! I love it. I am very excited to be able to keep better tabs on your globe trotting life. You know I live vicariously through you!! I love you!!!

Jenalee