Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Help! I'm a hoarder!

Several months ago Eli and I were over at my parents and my mom asked us if we would like to watch an episode of Oprah that she had recorded on her DVR. I normally HATE Oprah but the epoisode she had recorded sounded very interesting. It was all about this lady and her husband who had a hoarding problem. I had never realized this was a problem for some people until I saw this show. They owned a 3000 square foot house and every room was completely packed with junk. In every room there was stuff piled to the ceiling and a narrow walkway so you could walk from one end of the room to the other. The bedroom was covered floor to ceiling with clothes. Even the bed was covered in clothes. Only one person could sleep in it while the other slept on a pile of clothing on the floor. It took a group of 100 people 8 weeks to dejunk their house! They ended with 75 tons of garbage that needed to be hauled away.
They also filled a 10,000 square foot wharehouse with stuff and had a garage sale.

One part that really stood out to me was the 3000 pairs of shoes they were selling right next to 3000 purses (no eli...I don't have anywhere near 3000 purses (just 115) or pairs of shoes!)

I of course became convinced that I am a hoarder! My house looks nothing like the one I saw on Oprah...not even close, in fact I am pretty organized. But...I definitely hold on to things for much longer than I should. I have been so worried about becoming a hoarder that I have been dejunking things non stop for about a year. This last week I was working on my closet for the 10th time. I have to keep going back through it because I have a really hard time getting rid of things. While going through it this time I realized how stupid it is to keep things you don't use, wear or need. I found myself saying "I can't get rid of this...it's the shirt I was wearing when that guy winked at me at the mall." or "I can't get rid of these shoes. They were $100. Even if I never wear them cause they hurt my feet." or "I can't get rid of this Dolce and Gabana knockoff even if it is falling apart...I bought it in China for $7." It's so rediculous! Why do I feel the need to keep things that I have no use for?? I did however get rid of 9 pairs of shoes (the rest are on probation and auditioning for a place in my closet)!

In the end I did do a great job in my closet and got rid of A LOT of clothes! My closet looks so nice now, I just can't believe the difference. But I am sure I will be going through it again soon...to get rid of the things I just couldn't part with this time! So, if any of you are available, I need help!!! It's a lot easier if you have a buddy telling you to chuck something!
P.S. I went to the Oprah website the other day and took the "Are you a hoarder" quiz and my results state that I am very far from one! Thank heavens!!

8 comments:

ELI said...

Anyone can get that result on the quiz if they lie Krishelle.

By the way, I still have a shirt that I refuse to wear but I won't get rid of it because it was only $3.

Holly said...

You never seeemed like a hoarder when we were roomies! I just took an 8 week class on dejunking my life and man was it depressing. I realized I'm a bit of a hoarder as well and have LOTS to get rid of. It's hard and I totally understand, I'll help you go through your stuff anytime!

Lindsey said...

you are so funny! And do you really have that many purses?

Andrea said...

Don't get me started on Oprah. I think her studio audience is about the scariest thing I've ever seen.

I think it's funny that you think you are a hoarder. Sometimes it's hard to get rid of things, but it just happens to be something I'm good at. If you ever need help, I'll come over I'm really good at making people throw things away.

Jeff and Bridgette Metcalfe said...

Oh my word!!! That makes me want to barf. You know how much of a clean freak I am.

Please tell me you didn't get rid of your green furry china shoes???!!!

xoxo

Kalli said...

I have to admit... I have seen that episode. It truly is frightening!! I think most of us have a little bit of hoarder in us, but I can't understand how people let it get that bad! I'm sure you have nothing to worry about though ;)

Amanda Fleming said...

I'm sure you are far from a hoarder. I have moved 3 times in 2 years and I found myself throwing things out everytime and I kept thinking, "why did we keep any of this stuff in the first place?" Feels good to let go and look in the closet and be able to walk into it. :)

The Bell Family said...

hi